Frequently Asked Questions

I have just heard about an animal disaster and I want to help:
If you HAVE NOT had disaster response training and credential verification, you should not self-deploy as a disaster response volunteer for your own liability and safety, and out of respect to those at the disaster site who are trying to manage the situation.

If you have had disaster response training (such as ICS 100, 200, 700 or local or state officially recognized courses), contact your county Emergency Manager and ask them how you can get involved in deployments.

I wish to become a disaster response volunteer but have no training.  Can I still volunteer?
Contact your county Emergency Manager to find out how to get involved in disaster response. Many counties have a County Emergency Response Team (CERT) that you can join to receive basic training. Contact your local Animal Services office (Animal Control or Animal Shelter) to learn more about volunteer opportunities specifically related to animals. Many response organizations recommend basic Incident Command System trainings which are free and can be found on the FEMA Independent Study website.

If you are a veterinarian, veterinary technician or assistant, veterinary or veterinary technician student, animal shelter employee, animal control officer, or Cooperative Extension agent, you are eligible to become a volunteer with the NC Veterinary Response Corps. Please visit the following website for more information